Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Strange Case of the Baptist Electrician




 A DIVINE MYSTERY


It was a Wednesday afternoon. The electrician was just finishing up the job I’d hired him to do. I caught him glancing at his watch.

“Do you need to be somewhere?” I asked.

He answered, “I don’t want to miss church tonight.”

With the deductive prowess of a latter-day Sherlock Holmes, I put the facts together: Wednesday. Church. Not Lent.

“You must be a Baptist,” I concluded.

“Yep,” he smiled and told me which congregation he called his church home.

I was familiar with it and I knew that their theology was far from mine. It wasn’t just the believers’ Baptism thing, either. They were King James Bible-thumping, fundamentalistic, straight-and-narrow, sawdust-trail-walking, hell’s-full-of-liberals-abortionists-and-gays, agree-with-us-or-be-damned Christians. Strong on Law and weak on Gospel, in my opinion they represented everything that is wrong with Christianity.

But I didn’t say so.

“That church saved my life,” the electrician said. He meant it literally and it was probably objectively true. A few years earlier he had been on a path of self-destruction. With no internal controls on his behavior, I think he needed the external control that this legalistic church provided.

I think that God may very well have been at work in that church with all of its bad theology.

Sometimes I wish God wouldn't do things like that.





 


My plans aren’t your plans, 
nor are your ways my ways,
      says the LORD .
Just as the heavens 

are higher than the earth,
      so are my ways
      higher than your ways,
      and my plans than your plans. (Isaiah 55:8-9 CEB)

5 comments:

  1. Won't it be fun to gather together in the age to come and compare notes as to how badly off-the-mark our theology was!

    "You think THAT's bad! I believed...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to arguing theology with Moses, Paul, and Martin Luther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... but then maybe we will all be wandering around like Steve Jobs... "O WOW! O WOW! O WOW!" Until nap time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sometimes I wish God wouldn't do things like that." Oh how that resonates - thanks!

    ReplyDelete