Thursday, February 28, 2013

A YEAR OF BLOGGING BIBLICALLY


It is my practice to read through the Bible, from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21, about once a year. With each reading I find things I hadn’t noticed before, things that inspire me, things that surprise me, things that disturb me.

This year I want to invite you to join me in reading the Bible.

Here’s the idea: We’ll follow the Blue Letter Bible canonical one year reading plan. This plan divides the Bible into 365 portions. Each portion should take about 10 or 15 minutes to read.

For the purposes of this blog, I’m defining a year as 365 days, but not necessarily consecutive days. I want to be able to take a day or two off each week. Technically that means that this year of blogging biblically will take more than a year.

I’m also defining Bible as the 66 books of the Protestant canon. This is the canon of my denomination. These books are considered Scripture by all Christians. I know that many Christians have a larger canon. I have read, studied, and appreciated the deuterocanonical books. By omitting those books from my year of blogging biblically, I don’t intend to exclude anyone. Neither do I mean to insult anyone else’s canon.

Each day, I will try to offer some remarks on the assigned reading. Your comments will also be welcome. You do not have to agree with me, or with anyone else. I only ask that you be concise and polite. Seriously, try not to write comments that are longer than my posts.

Regardless of your religious tradition, or lack thereof, you are welcome to join me in this venture.

I want us to take an honest look at the Bible, to see what it actually says, to recognize the good and bad in it, to enter into conversation with the Scriptures.



Come with me, won’t you? We’ll start tomorrow with Genesis 1–3.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you... sort of... way behind though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just about to begin Joshua. If you want to read along, that wouldn't be a bad place to jump in.

      Delete