Thursday, June 10, 2010

And My Letter to My Synodical Bishop

This letter is a little longer and more personal as I have a personal relationship with my synodical bishop.

Bishop Gary Wollersheim
Northern Illinois Synod
103 W. State Street
Rockford, IL 61101

June 10, 2010

Dear Bishop Wollersheim,

The turmoil in the ELCA following the 2009 Churchwide Assembly decisions regarding human sexuality and the rostering of same-sex partnered pastors is unprecedented in my experience. These have been trying times for many of my colleagues in ministry and their congregations. I am writing to express my appreciation for the encouragement and leadership that you and your staff provide.

I am proud to be a member of the ELCA and of the Northern Illinois Synod. I am particularly grateful for the support that you have given to those who wish to remain faithful to the ELCA when their congregations are voting to affiliate with other church bodies. The five Synodically Authorized Worshiping Communities formed in our synod are a blessing to us. I am thankful, too, for the ministry of support that you have provided for congregations which have stayed in the ELCA but have been split over votes to leave.

Bishop, I am sure that these are difficult times for you, and I want you to know that I pray for you and your staff regularly. I look forward to seeing you at Synod Assembly. May God bless you.

Sincerely,


Rev. Brant Clements



What do you think? Will Carlos Pena, and the bishops be encouraged by my letters? Wouldn't they be encouraged by a letter from you, too? So quit reading blogs, open up that word processor and write a note of support to our ELCA leaders...and, oh yeah, I know for a fact that a little note of encouragement would make your pastor's day!

4 comments:

  1. Pr. Brant, I think you have a good point. Our bishop knows I am incredibly grateful as he and his assistant are actively helping my splintering congregation regroup as a SAWC (holy cow, I'm buried in SAWC and tax id paperwork!)

    But you're right, I think PB Hanson and Carlos Pena would love to hear from each of us. This has been a difficult year and even the muckity mucks need encouragement and support.

    Now to see if I have stamps in my wallet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly.

    I'm sure that since CWA '09 all of our bishops' offices have been flooded with angry letters, accusations, hate mail, and I've even heard reports of death threats.

    On the other hand,those of us who are satisfied with the Churchwide decisions tend to be quiet about it. Christians, sadly, are like that. If we don't have anything bad to say about someone, we don't say anything at all.

    When you get your letters written, why not post them on your blog as an example for others? I'm serious about getting some positive energy flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to copy you Brant and send a letter myself. I'm not lying when I say, I've been thinking about doing it...so, now I will! BTW...It is a blessing having you as a friend. Look, I've already started some positive energy of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah. I too feel blessed to count you and Steve among my friends.

    If we keep up all this positivity, I'll have to change the name of my blog!

    Are you going to post your letter on your blog as an example to others?

    ReplyDelete