Monday, April 8, 2013

Another Billboard

On I-70 between Springfield and Columbus, I spied a billboard touting 5 of the 10 Commandments, according to some reckonings. It said:

YOU SHALL NOT KILL.
YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.
YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.
YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS.
YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

At least that's what I think it said. It went by pretty fast at 72 mph.*

Interestingly it omitted the Commandments specific to the worship of YHWH. You know: "No other gods. No idols. Don't take the Lord's name in vain. Keep the Sabbath." I suppose that the 5 Commandments listed are more universally applicable.

Curiously it also omitted the Commandment about honoring your parents. What's up with that?

And for those who wonder why I was reading billboards on I-70, or at least why I was traveling to Columbus, Ohio, well, I'm here for the National Workshop on Christian Unity.




*There is no commandment that says "You shall not speed." At least not in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment