Friday, April 12, 2013

More Billboards

Coming back west from Columbus, I saw more religious billboards on Route 70 in Indiana.  The first one featured bold white letters on a black background.

JESUS IS REAL

I wondered for a few moments what this billboard meant. Was it a response to someone's assertion to the contrary? Then I spotted another sign in the same white-on-black lettering.

IF YOU WERE TO DIE TONIGHT
WHERE WOULD YOU SPEND ETERNITY?

I may not have captured the precise wording, but that was the gist of the thing. I don't personally worry too much about eternity. I'm trusting God to take care of it. That's part of what it means to be saved. I'm much more concerned about what Christians do in this life. We should be free, after all, to put God's love into action. That's another part of what it means to be saved. 

A few miles farther west, I spotted a billboard that said:

AVOID HELL
REPENT
TRUST JESUS TODAY

I have never responded well to threats. Threaten me and I'm liable to call your bluff. That includes the threat of hell. Note what I said above about being saved. Keep it in mind when I say that hell, as it usually preached, will have many more interesting people in it than heaven. 

Scare tactics may be effective conversion tools in some cases. As for me, I think Christians are much more likely to be effective if they try loving people into the Kingdom.

A little farther west there was another sign from the Tom Raper Foundation Inc. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida:

JESUS SAVES

After I crossed into Illinois the religious billboards gave way to Burma Shave-style signs with bad rhymes proclaiming the benefits of gun ownership.

After an 8 hour drive through the rain, it is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment